Black history month has just ended but I just managed to finish an article I wanted to write for a while now today. I want to share with you today what I consider to be the best rap songs ever made. I'm sure this kind of top will spark numerous debates because it's impossible for everyone to like the same kind of music. So this is just my opinion on the matter. If you would like to share any suggestions or critics please feel free to write down a comment and I will be more than happy to reply as soon as I find the time. So, as I said I've been planning this article for a while now. And I have to say it required a lot of planning because it is incredibly hard to try and cram all the most influential artists in hip hop history in a list with only 7 spots. I also have to mention that I don't consider myself to be an expert in the field. I just am a big fan of rap and I've listened to hundreds hours on end of this kind of music. So take this list more as a fan's overview than an expert's:
1. Sugarhill Gang – Rapper's Delight. As you will probably see during the course of this article I focused mainly on the roots of rap. I tried to remember some of the most iconic songs that were essential for raps development as we know it today. So, Taking that into consideration, one of the best rap songs ever made for me is Rapper's delight. This is practically the song that put hip hop on the map. It was the first rap song to ever reach the top 40 list, and it signaled that soon the movement will take mainstream by force. Remember that this song was released in 1979.
2. Nas – The world is yours. Probably this is a surprise for many to find Nas on this list but I do consider him one of the best rappers in history. His father was a jazz musician and the influence can clearly be seen in his music, I think that this is one of the reasons why his style of rapping is different than most of the things you are used to.
3. Eminem – Lose yourself. This is probably the best rap songs ever made, considering the albums it helped sell, the number of awards it received, and the millions of fans who can't get enough of it. Eminem was probably one of the least likely rappers to succeed in the business, but he managed to take hip hop by storm with his unique satirical style. Dr Dre believed very much in what Eminem had to offer and he helped him become one of the best know names in the business.
4. Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five -The Message. Now let's get back to the beginning of hip hop. The first hip hop artist ever to be inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2007. This song called "the Message" was released in 1892 and it helped bring hip hop to ever larger audiences. One of the reasons Grandmaster Flash is revered to be one of the most important hip hop artists of all times is because he was the inventor of such techniques as the backspin technique and punch phasing. Although he didn't invent scratching he is considered to be the person who made it popular and took it to the next level.
5. Tupac – Dear mama. No list of the best rap songs ever made can be complete without an entry from Tupac Shakur. One of the most revered artists of all time his style of hip hop was very melodic and his lyrics made hip hop appealing to larger and larger audiences.
6. Africa Bambaataa & The Soul Sonic Force – Planet Rock. Another big innovator in the field of hip hop. This song called "planet Rock" is so important because it sparked the development of entirely new genres such as electro or house. It helped hip hop make its way to new audiences and thus nudged it closer to mainstream.
7. Public Enemy – Fight the power. And of course you can't have a list of the best rap songs ever made without a tune with a very strong and clear political message. What can be more eloquent than the title of the song: Fight the Power.
Looking back on this list of the best rap songs ever made I realize that there are many big names I have omitted, form Notorious B.I.G. to Dr. Dre, to Jay-Z and so on and so on. But still, considering the more historic approach I have made, I am quite happy with the result.