Recently I had many requests from my readers who wanted to know how they should tell their boss that they are leaving. If a person is thinking to this extent than it is very safe to assume that he share a normal or good relationship with his boss and deep inside he feel that his boss or the company would not be happy with the move. The question of leaving the job is very important because it has a potential to change ones life. At same time when you put your papers things change for ever and it becomes more of an event registered in the history of your life. You want to go or stay back, the things somehow never remains same. Nevertheless once you have decided to leave your effort should be to make this process as smooth as possible.
Reason- Why You Want to Leave Your Job
The reasons can be any of following
1) You got a good break in terms of profile and money.
2) The break is ok but present job is not a fun anymore
3) The money offered is good but profile is somewhat similar
4) You are fed up with your current job and want to leave it anyway
5) The profile is good even though you have compromised with money
No matter what is your reason but it is always advisable to
1) Put Profile before money
2) Put the environment of new company before money
3) Put their procedures and policies before money
4) Put everything else before money
5) Do your Home Work
Why? You spend most of your time in office. If your job becomes living Hell, Money is of no use.
This has happened with me and I wish my readers would keep this in mind too.
So you want to leave. What should be your reason?
Most people struggle with this question. While People would advise you to tell the truth but that sincerely varies from case to case. You may be leaving because of large number of reasons but your effort should be to make the exit as smooth as possible. I personally feel that it is advisable to
1) First Decide firmly in your mind whether you want to leave or not.
2) If you are confused than you need to think more. It is important that your heart should follow one path
3) Once it is decided you should take some more time to consider corner cases
Assuming you have decided to leave it is always advisable
1) Never ever accuse anyone or blame your departure on anyone.
2) Make your departure look like a growth opportunity you would like to take in your career.
1) If something bad has happened to you people would know about it
2) If you blame someone it would give different direction to the discussion
3) Blaming anyone would not hurt anyone but your relations only.
It feels nice to throw your resignation on your Boss face. Everyone gets a kick out of it. But that is it. It is harmful to both you and your personality. You never know when you meet the same person in what form in future.
So Now the main part – How to Tell Your Boss You are Leaving
You need to be conscious of the fact that it take years to build relationships and few seconds to break it. If you are still reading this article I would presume that you share a strong relationship with your Boss and deep insiude you are too scared to break it. Honestly I respect that and I congratulate you to be amongst those who would rise too high in their career only if emotions are kept out of your decision.
Don’t be an emotional fool and be firm to follow the next steps.
1) Talk to your Boss- So you have decided to leave. Too much concerned about the way to leave, make sure you don’t mail to you Boss and give him a surprise. Also make sure that your Boss would be the first person to hear about it. Set up a meeting with your Boss, take him out for a coffee or something and break the news. Tell him reasons why you have made this decision and how you want him to support you. Take all his questions and be firm. Remember all you need to talk about is the new opportunity and how you think it will help you grow in life. If money is good part of it then you have to talk about in an affirmative manner. Take your time; help your boss understand your decision.
2) Make it formal- Once you have talked about it to your boss make sure to mail a formal resignation letter to your boss. This will help you to put a concrete date around it. This step is important to put things on paper.
3) Offer him your help- You need to understand the problems your boss might face after you exit and you should be committed to help him out. Weather it is a succession issue or your handover; you should be forthcoming with the subject and need to make sure to make your boss comfortable about it.
4) Go by your Boss- If your Boss wants to keep your resignation a secret than make sure not to leak it out. It is important that your Boss should be the first person to know about it. There is no fun in talking with people about your spoils and feeling great about it. This is more for a reason than the truthà Not much people would be happy to hear that you are going for some great opportunities. They would be rather jealous about it. So there is no point in giving people food for thought.
5) Make it a Simple Exit- No boasting around, control you attitude. Even if you got something really great than make it speak for itself in future. People who worked with you would probably want to be in your position in case your opportunity is good. Best way to help your company is to make them feel that nothing great has happened and they should continue to trust the present company. You Boss and company would bless you for that.
Now the biggest question arise, what if your Boss comes out with a counter offer both in terms of profile and money.
Well, it is on you now. You need to asses your future in same company vis-à-vis an opportunity in hand. Sometimes companies do this to retain their best performers or even to satisfy their short term goals. Make sure to asses your future in same company in case you accept the offer. There is no harm to accept it provided you know you got a fair deal.
I had a time when I left the job and management did everything to stop me. But I was firm in my mind because I knew things would not be same again if I stay back. I was harassed and even my final settlement was delayed. I was two months without salary. Worst thing that happened to me was that it affected my relations with the management. However I never took it in wrong spirit and was in touch with my Boss for long time. I wished her on her birthdays and other important occasions. Result, the manager realized her mistake and things became smooth between us.
It is important not to spoil your relationship. Life is long journey; you never know how things turn out in future.
Be at your best when you resign. Don’t criticize anyone, it won’t help you. Be nice and calm and let the good things prevail.
Incoming search terms:
- how to tell your boss you are leaving
- how to tell your boss you got a new job
- how to tell boss you are leaving
- how to tell your boss you quit
- how to tell your boss your leaving
- How to tell manager you are leaving
- talking to your boss about leaving
- how to talk to your boss about leaving
- how to tell your boss youre leaving
- how to let your boss know you are leaving